public transportation » Blog post
1–8 of 8
- Chicagoland Car-Free Day is Thursday, Sept. 22!
- Tomorrow, Thursday, Sept. 22, is Chicagoland Car-Free Day! Our Commute Options providers Active Transportation Alliance, CTA, Metra, and Pace all encourage area residents to ditch their car and commute to work by bus, train, bicycle, walking—or any other alternatives to driving alone.…
- Taking a Ride on Mexico City’s BRT
- By Pedro Cevallos-Candau, Ph.D., PE
- Jul 27, 2011
- I arrived in Mexico City on a rainy Sunday afternoon, and one of my goals on this short trip was to get familiar with the Bus Rapid Transit system known as the Metrobus. Currently, the city has three active Metrobus routes, and a fourth is under construction. Since I was staying in a hotel near the…
- Take Metra's survey to inform new director's agenda
- Alexander Clifford, Metra’s brand-new executive director and CEO, received a warm welcome in Chicago on Tuesday — quickly followed by a frigid reception from Mother Nature.
I couldn't help but think of Clifford and his fellow Chicago-area transit agency directors this morning as I made…
- Spongebob Squarepants offers a lesson in transit reliability
- A few weekends ago, I was lazily browsing some Saturday morning cartoons, and caught an episode of Spongebob Squarepants that demonstrated very colorfully the effects of unreliable transit service. In this episode, Spongebob and his trusty sidekick Patrick go to a theme park and, on their way home,…
- What's your favorite CTA, Metra or South Shore stop?
- Before I joined MPC in 2004, I worked full-time as a journalist. As a j-school student, one of my class projects was to write about every stop on the Red Line. Each of us chose a stop and found a nearby story to share with our fellow students. That experience stayed with me: On the rare weekend…
- Dump the Pump, Bike to Work or take a stroll -- and win!
- Many of you may not know this about MPC staffers but we are one competitive bunch! We’ve been aggressively working to encourage everyone in the office to “Bike to Work” this week and help win some bragging rights among our fellow non-profit friends. Rumor is there are more than…
- Free film screening next week to examine history, future of America's transportation system
- If you dig public transit, documentaries, free entertainment, Detroit, cars, urban planning, architecture or any of the above, then we've got just the event for you! In partnership with Chicago Architecture Foundation and CEOs for Cities, MPC is hosting a community screening of Beyond the Motor…
- Good ideas for cities
- The GOOD blog has been on a roll lately. For more than a month, the web site has posted one Idea for Cities each day, sparked by a brainstorm on the future of cities inaugurated at the CEOs for Cities Velocity conference in September 2009.
Among my favorites:
DIY Cities: This proposed open…
1–8 of 8