Transportation for America is seeking a smart and motivated individual to grow an active field operation in Illinois, as part of a national campaign. The Illinois Field Organizer will direct the day-to-day development of a diverse coalition of prominent state and local organizations working in key regions of Illinois to reform federal transportation policy.
Experience managing field operations or organizing coalitions on a political or issue campaign is a must. The Illinois Field Organizer will report to the T4 America Campaign Field Director in Washington DC, and will be housed in the Center for Neighborhood Technology offices in Chicago, Ill. He or she will work closely with the existing Illinois network to expand the coalition, build leadership, and meet local capacity-building goals. The applicant must be a dynamic individual, prepared to speak to audiences, and work with the Illinois coalition to organize both grasstops and grassroots events for NGOs, business leaders, and elected officials.
Responsibilities will include:
- Staff a table of local organization partners and allies and provide assistance with local education and outreach efforts of Illinois groups;
- Develop tools and materials (in coordination with other local coalition partners and other T4 America campaign teams) to engage in advocacy and media efforts in an expanding role over the course of the campaign;
- Build a powerful field operation to mobilize “grasstops” supporters of the campaign. (This will include leaders from the local business community, local environmental organizations, union leaders, the real estate sector, equity and health groups, elected officials and others.)
- Work with state coalition partners to build capacity for organizing, advocacy and communications.
- Build the capacity of local and state campaign partners, including Downstate, to engage with state and federal leaders on transportation and other related policies.
- Acting as the T4 America liaison on the ground: communicating the latest legislative knowledge from Washington to the Illinois coalition, and collecting information at the local level to pass back to the campaign in Washington.
This position requires a self-motivated and detail-oriented person with excellent organizational skills. The candidate must have good communication and interpersonal skills, and be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- At least two years of experience organizing with a political or issue campaign is a MUST;
- Experience working on bicycling, walking, transit, or community development is a strong preference, experience with unions, business groups, health interests or seniors will be considered an asset;
- Knowledge of Illinois communities and politics and campaign experience in Illinois strongly preferred;
- Knowledge of federal legislative process will be considered an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and meet deliverables, deadlines and show measurable results, with willingness to be part of a team working towards a common goal is required;
- Available for travel on a frequent basis throughout Illinois and to Washington D.C. required;
- Strong communication and writing skills and an ability to work and communicate with a diverse group of people and audiences are essential;
- Must demonstrate experience managing partnerships through internet communication, in person and by phone.
Full-time, will include some nights and weekends. Must be available for frequent travel. Resumes will be accepted on a rolling basis. Job is available for an immediate start. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, short writing sample and 3 references to Bridget Torres, email@example.com. Interviews will be held on a rolling basis.
Equal Opportunity Employment: Transportation for America is an equal opportunity employer. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.