Peter joined MPC as urban development director in 1996. For the past 18 years, he has played a lead role in expanding MPC’s capacity to produce quality research, develop sound policies, and advocate for sensible development in Chicagoland. He was promoted to Vice President of External Relations in 1999, Vice President in 2009, and Executive Vice President in 2013.
He has led several major policy initiatives, including the 1999 rewrite of the Illinois Tax Increment Financing (TIF) Act, massive overhaul of Chicago’s zoning ordinance in 2004, and passage of Illinois’ Public Private Partnerships for Transportation Act in 2011. He is actively working to bring Bus Rapid Transit to Chicago's west side. Peter staffed Mayor Rahm Emanuel's Transportation and Infrastructure Transition Committee and currently co–chairs the Mayors Pedestrian Advisory Committee. In 2013, he chaired the Midway Advisory Panel overseeing the proposed long-term lease of Midway Airport. He is a member of the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning Transportation Committee and University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) Allumni Association Advocacy Committee.
Prior to joining MPC, from 1994 to 1996, Peter worked for the Chicago Park District as area manager on the southeast side. He also founded and served on the UIC College of Urban Planning and Public Affairs Alumni Association from 1997 to 2003. Peter has received several awards and honors, including the 2005 City Partner Award for outstanding contribution to UIC and the Chicago metropolitan area; and the 2007 Lou Liay Spirit Award for Extraordinary Alumni Service from the University of Illinois.
Peter received a master’s degree in urban planning from the University of Illinois at Chicago in 1993, and a bachelor’s degree in behavioral science from the University of Chicago in 1990. He was born and raised in Chicago’s Hyde Park community and lives on the North Side in the city’s 47th Ward with his wife and children.
- Dear Governor Rauner: Make transportation a priority
- June 22, 2015
Dear Governor Rauner, Senate President John Cullerton, House Speaker Michael Madigan, Senate Republican Leader Christine Radogno and House Republican Leader Jim Durkin:
Among the pressing issues facing the State of Illinois this year, Accelerate Illinois is calling on you to make…
- MPC responds to regional plan update
- Since the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) was created in 2005, the Metropolitan Planning Council (MPC) has devoted much of our work to making CMAP all that it can be. We recognize the importance of strong regional planning and the need for a clear vision guiding Chicagoland's…
- MPC Position Statements
- To advance the Metropolitan Planning Council’s (MPC) goal of creating a more sustainable, equitable, and competitive Chicago region, MPC takes official positions on a broad range of federal, state and local policies and issues.
Letter to the Metropolitan Water Reclamation…
- Senate releases MAP-21 transportation bill proposal
- Chrissy Nichols co-authored this article.
Late last Friday, the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee (EPW) released Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century (MAP-21), which is the Senate highway portion of the next federal surface transportation bill. While we’re still a long…
- Illinois approves Public-Private Partnerships for Transportation Act
- The Elgin-O’Hare Express, West Loop Transportation Center, a bus rapid transit corridor, the CTA Red Line extension, and on and on: These projects represent just a sliver of the billions of dollars in transportation projects Illinois has put on the back burner because funds for building new…
More articles »
Areas of expertise
- Public Private Partnerships
- Transportation policy
- Innovative financing
- Chicago zoning
- Legislative affairs
- Public Policy
B.A., Behavioral Science, University of Chicago
Masters of Urban Planning and Policy, University of Illinois at Chicago