Breann joined MPC as a research assistant in 2011, and was hired as an associate a year later. She manages a range MPC's Housing and Community Development programs, including the Regional Housing Initiative (RHI) and Interjurisdictional Collaboration. Specifically, she is assisting with coordinating the launch of the Chicago Regional Voucher Pilot, with the U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development and partners.
A native of California, Breann moved to Chicago in 2010, to attend the University of Illinois-Chicago, where she completed a master's degree in urban planning and policy. In California, she worked for a range of nonprofit and socially responsible organizations, including the ACLU’s organizing department. She also spent a semester studying in Singapore, and a winter working to reduce health inequalities in rural India.
Currently, Breann lives in Uptown and balances work with her love of reading, swimming and brewing kombucha.
- New challenges for the Low Income Housing Tax Credit program
- By Breann Gala and MPC Research Assistant Charles Dabah
- Jan 21, 2014
- A new year has brought new challenges for the federal Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program, which makes up the nation’s largest portion of federal dollars for affordable housing development and preservation. Funded through the Internal Revenue Code, LIHTC provides selected developers…
- Apply for the Regional Housing Initiative
- Thanks to the regional cooperation and resource sharing of the housing authorities of Chicago, Cook, Joliet Lake, McHenry, Oak Park and Waukegan -- the Regional Housing Initiative (RHI) provides financial incentives (via operating subsidies) to developers and owners of quality rental housing in…
- DuPage County
- Landings on Villa, Villa Park
Landings on Villa is a 16-unit development in Villa Park for persons with disabilities. Families will live in the active downtown Villa Park neighborhood that is a mix of uses: single-family, multifamily and commercial neighborhood. The site is only a short walk…
- Project-based subsidies available for rental property developers, owners through Regional Housing Initiative
- To address metropolitan Chicago’s growing demand for quality, rental homes in attractive locations, developers and owners of rental housing near transit and jobs in Cook, DuPage, Lake, McHenry, and Will counties are encouraged to participate in the Regional Housing Initiative (RHI). Through…
- South Cook County (Chicago included)
- Wentworth Commons, Chicago
Wentworth Commons, located in Chicago’s Roseland neighborhood, is a beautiful, 51-unit supportive housing development dedicated to assisting individuals and households who are formerly homeless and at-risk of homelessness. The development is renowned for its…
More articles »
Areas of expertise
- Affordable housing
- Community development
- Housing Finance
M.U.P.P., Urban Planning and Policy, University of Illinois at Chicago
B.A., International Political Economics, University of California, Berkeley